The Science, Baby!

A view of life from a busy mind in a small town.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Who's Reality

I been watchin' Reality shows for a while now and it has become must-see tv for me. But what is reality tv, really? I know in my life time I've never been followed around by cameras. I've never been forced to live on an island, or in a house with strangers. I never been forced to eat strange things, or forced to challenge people for my next meal. Who's reality is this?

The first "reality" show was aired in 1973 on PBS titled An American Family. Cameras followed the Louds, a family in the midst of a divorce. The member of the family most remembered was Lance Loud, who the first reality tv star, as well as the first openly gay man to appear on television.

Today we have several, some interesting and some absolutely ridiculous. I'll cover a few.

Challengers

These are the shows that make you do things for something. They can be labeled as game shows, but to me, a game show is like Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune. These are my favorites. I'm gonna break these down into sub-categories.

I Need A Job Shows:
Apprentice, The Ultimate Hustler, Hell's Kitchen, Project Runway, Wickedly Perfect
These all promise you some type of career after the completion.

Do Anything Cuz I'm Broke Shows:
Fear Factor, Survivor, Amazing Race, The Will, The Benefactor, Big Brother
You gotta do a lot of stupid stuff, but if you win, you get a lot of money.

Talent Shows Tier 1:
American Idol, Star Search, Popstars, Last Comic Standing
You get to perform on tv.

Talent Shows Tier 2:
Making the Band, America's Next Top Model, Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Model Search
You gotta live on tv.

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Athlete Shows:
The Contender, The Next Great Champ, The Ultimate Fighter

Emotional Challengers
These are the shows in which people seek love and affection, psychiatriac help, or whatever it is they're after. These are broken into sub-categories as well.

I Get So Lonely Shows:
The Dating Game, The Bachelor, Average Joe, Blind Date, Joe Millionaire, Next, Room Raiders, Elimidate
People on these shows act a damn fool for some attention.

Dysfunctional Family Shows:
Trading Spouses, WifeSwap, Nanny 911, Super Nanny
Need I say more?

Tear Jerkers:
Extreme Makeover, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, The Swan, The Biggest Loser, Starting Over
Someone allways cries, and there's always a life changing event occurring.

Tell All Your Business Shows:
Cheaters, The Ultimate Love Test, The Real World
If they don't tell, the camera will.



No Challenge, We're Already Rich

Bored Ass Celebrities Tier I:
Newlyweds, Britney and Kevin: Choatic, Strange Love, Til Death Do Us Part: Carmen & DaveThese are the couples.

Bored Ass Celebrities Tier II:
Surreal Life, Celebrity Fit Club, The Mole, But Can They Sing
These are usually the wash-ups.

Bored Ass Celebrities Tier III:
Run's House, Meet the Barkers, The Osbournes, Being Bobby Brown, Hogan Knows Best, Growing Up GottiThese are the family shows

We can't forget the traditional talk show. Things are so crazy now days, you can't actually tell if they're real situations, but let's pay homage anyway.

Oprah Winfrey, Maury Povich, Tyra Banks, Jerry Springer, Ricky Lake, Phil Donahue, and all the many others that have come over our airways.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home